Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Not you mother's CoC!

I am so proud to be a part of Reidland Church of Christ. Sometimes when people ask where we go to church, I hesitate because Church of Christ carries so many connotations: we're the only ones going, we're a cult or we look down on other "religions." I usually say, "but we're different" just to smooth over the look or thought that I know is going through the questioner's mind.

Our congregation IS different and I am proud of it! We have embraced the other churches in our community and they have done the same for us. We participate in the Thanksgiving services and this year we participated in the Easter Sunrise Service at Reidland Methodist. We were also encouraged to observe Lent this year. How cool is that? How many of our forefathers and mothers are rolling in their graves at the idea of these things? For that matter, what about the other CoC in the area? I would venture to say that they don't know what they're missing!

Sure there are differences in how we do things but we love the same Lord. We don't have to agree on every point to worship Him together. We don't have to be Catholic to observe Lent - it's the idea and purpose of Lent that we wanted to partake in. Surrender is what we called it. I just kept in mind that I would be letting God down if I didn't follow through. It started that dialog of "help me Lord...I can't do this without you."

There is freedom in the acceptance of other religions. What can we learn from them? How can this enrich our worship experience? I think these last few years of joining the Reidland community has already changed us for the better and I pray we continue to grow!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! But, then again, I am biased. . . it's nice to read this! Blog more!!!

    ReplyDelete